Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Well, It Makes Me Giggle

So I have a strange talent.  It all started in the second grade.  I was in Mrs. Ahern's class at Stillwater Elementary in Stillwater, Oklahoma.  My teacher had four kids to each "desk" which created oodles of time to chat.  I became friends with William, and he taught me how to burp on command.  He said you have to swallow really hard, which causes a bunch of air to get in your tummy and then, alakazam, *burp*!  I practiced all day and was so excited to show my sisters and parents.  Everyone laughed, and then my dad remarked that it wasn't very ladylike.  This piece of advice did not stick.
Although I do have tact, and know when it is completely inappropriate to belch, I cannot resist the occasional perfect opportunity.  Who would have thunk, but I find it much easier to unleash my gargantuan burp in front of boys.  Boys always find this talent hilarious, and egg me on with their own burps, but I always put them to shame.  Case in point, my sister's husband knew me as the sister who could pop your eardrums with her burps.  Now this should embarrass me immensely, but once again, I find it funny; so much so, I had to prove my talent.  And I did.  While my mom hemmed and hawed.  Life is too short to allow windows of laughter to pass us by; don't be ashamed of your small idiosyncrasies, because someone will always get a kick out of it.

No comments: