Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yellowstone, She Wrote, Day 2






Ahhh, Yellowstone.  Every year I look forward to this vacation, but none more than this year.  Our original plans were to be here from Thursday to Tuesday, but this was changed when my boss wanted my help with the PTA convention.  He has this new idea, and said he needed someone 'charismatic'.  I was flattered that he thought of me, but didn't think ahead to my vacation plans, or the fact that I am extremely shy.  I convinced Bryan that 4 days would be plenty.  The convention went well enough, but I came home so tired and my neck was stiff with stress.  I pulled into the driveway to see Bryan by the trailer, with camera in hand waiting for me.  I didn't even notice the dumpster in our driveway.  I then found out that our upstairs bathroom toilet had sprung a leak when we had to replace the valve, and it had become Bryan's 2 day marathon to finish a bathroom.  He was able to complete all the tear out, put in the new toilet, new subfloor, and new tiled floor.  We still have quite a bit to finish, but I was shocked at how much was accomplished.  I then worried that my longed for trip would be lost; but Bryan was adament that we go.  We mosied out of Logan on Saturday, getting our usual bagels for breakfast and taking the long way through the Tetons.  We arrived in Yellowstone around 3 pm and drove around the lake and through the canyon loop.  When we got to the junction that takes you to Madison or Mammoth, we decided to be adventurous and head up to Mammoth and out to Tower.  We found ourselves in the middle of a wolf pack's hunt.  And it was amazing.  My only addition to Bryan's thoughts; my heart broke when the elk went down.  I had the duty of taping the event.  About 30 seconds from the final stroke of death, I was shaking so badly from the cold and my emotional heartstrings, that I passed the camera over and watched from the corner of my tear filled eyes.  I know it's the cycle of life, but I wanted to be her savior, and I knew I wasn't able to do anything.  Today, we once again took our time getting up and going.  We usually enter the park between 5 and 6 am, but today it wasn't until 9 am.  We passed through the site of the wolf hunt (which was packed with tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of something), and headed on up to tower.  We saw 2 black bears up in a tree, a grizzly up by Lamar Valley, and a 3rd black bear by petrified tree.  We also were lucky enough to see a moose up towards the northeast entrance, a nursery of 4 Bighorn Sheep near the canyon, and a coyote pouncing on the snow after a mouse.  After viewing the wolves, today's 'catch' didn't seem as wonderful.  Maybe tomorrow will be more fruitful.

1 comment:

Laura Howard said...

What an amazing trip! I really need to go to Yellowstone some day.