Friday, February 5, 2010

What I've Gained with Ten

Ten years ago, I walked down the aisle and made the best decision of my life. I said Yes. With that answer, I've conquered many goals which would have been next to impossible alone. And what exactly have we accomplished? Maybe not what was planned that day, like a 1970 Camaro that is parked in our garage or the small home that we had hoped for on Davis Blvd. No, we've done more than that. We bought our first brand new car before celebrating one year, and our first home before two. We've started family traditions, like visiting Yellowstone every year in May, going up Green Canyon every fall to see the leaves, celebrating Thanksgiving in style by ourselves, and sleeping in until 10:30 every Saturday and Sunday possible. We've traveled beyond the small confines of our state, and even country. We've seen the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic, the North Sea, and the Irish Sea. We have just about fully remodeled a home with no expert's help. We had Kit, and now Jax and Nivia, who fill our lives with happiness. We've had our ups and downs, but mostly reflect on the ups, mostly. We were soul mates from the day Bryan called me Babes. And now have a strange sense of knowing when the other needs us. We've shared many laughs, few tears, and the occasional melt down. We've shared each other's passions, Bryan's for cars and photography and mine for traveling and crafts. We reflect the best in each other.
I've enjoyed the small moments; the silly dancing to Pulse and the 'slow' dancing to those magical songs that make time seem still. The endless giggling to silly anctics, and the smile it gives my heart when I know he's thinking of me. The meals spent together, whether next to each other on the couch, or out to dinner. The door that is always held open for me, car, house, store, wherever. And the big moments; like when Kit passed. When Nivia and Jax were placed in my arms, squiggling balls of joy. When we finished the upstairs bathroom and could use a shower again. When I stepped off the plane in Sacramento and ran to find my soul mate.
We've made many decisions, like deciding to retire the mechanic's toolbox for the big box. What to do when the dreams of a larger family were not going to happen.
Next week, the usual traditions of flowers will be given to me, and my sentimental card will find its secret way to Bryan, and we'll go out to dinner, but I've gained a happiness I would have never known by myself, and I look very much forward to every ten to come.

1 comment:

SuzyQ said...

Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful. :)