Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's a sad day when one of your kids leaves the nest....





I always knew the day would come when I would have to let my silver truck go. I purchased this truck because of needing the 4wheel drive when we moved here. It had such redneck character, from the piles of unspent shotgun shells under the seat to the bullet hole through the door. This was a full size Chevy truck but it only had a V6 and lightweight components. It was so light that it would ride on top of snow and mud making it unstoppable in the rough mountain terrain. After one morning of duck hunting I dropped my brother off at the parents house and began my trek home. When I was climbing the long hills through the canyon it began to lose power and then it started smoking. It had put a hole in the #6 piston..... It was but 310 miles short of 200,000 miles and it's life was cut short. I parked it on the side of the garage and planned to rebuild the engine. My needs for a truck had grown to towing and so I purchased the monster 454 "Mad Max". I planned to put some larger tires and lockers in the silver truck and with a rebuilt motor it would have been the greatest off road machine I could think of. Sadly life changes and we will soon have to move. The reality is it isn't reasonable to keep this truck and move it across the country. So today I placed an ad on the internet and within 10 minutes I had a phone call. Two hours later it was driving away and the new owner had a big grin on his face. I know it wasn't logical to dump 2 or 3 thousand dollars into this truck just to have an offroad toy, but a small tear crept into the corner of my eye as it pulled away... I guess I'll have to make the best of my other FIVE vehicles :) 5 is the least number of vehicles I have owned in a long time.


:c

No comments: