Wednesday, November 3, 2010

And on the First Day...

Vancouver is beautiful! The leaves are in the middle of changing colors still, and the reds up here are glorious. It's been fun experiencing fall all over again. The landscape here is very different than I had expected. We had seen pictures on the web, and I had created a Vancouver world in my mind's eye. With the number of pine trees and hills, along with views of Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Hood, you start to believe that you are not at sea level. You find yourself thinking you're at 10,000 feet living atop many mountains, with gargantuan ones in the background. It's easy to keep yourself hoodwinked into this idea. I've never had trouble adjusting to the time difference, but here is a different story. I find by 10 AM that I am starving. I know it's 11 in Utah, but couldn't I last til 11 here? And right now it's just past 4 and I'm starving again! Yesterday I had Bryan with me as we started our house hunt. Homes are very different here. Most are about 6 feet from the curb, with a lawn barely big enough to lay down in, and then the backyard is about 3 big jumps to the fence. It makes the homes look huge, but it's sad to see no yard. Especially after we've been used to having almost a 1/2 acre for the past nine years. I'm sure the neighbors will have a good laugh when we mow the lawn in one swipe with the riding mower. Poor Nivia and Jax; they'll really fatten up now. I should invent dog fitness centers. You could hook your dog up to a tread mill for running and walking, have a large arena for fetch, and all the trees, posts and mailboxes for marking (and maybe a few postal workers to chase)!
Bryan started his first day here and finds the store and people to his liking. They were very excited to meet him and couldn't wait to show him around the store. It's made a lot of our anxiousness go away. Now just finishing our house search and putting in an offer that will get accepted. And then finding a buyer for our home. And then pack everything, move...

No comments: