Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Afternoon Snack

Another tiny snippet into twin-dom.  Somewhere in the haze of lost summer sleep, I made the decision to give the babies only homemade baby food.  I find myself determined to keep providing for the two little ones I worked so hard while pregnant, to give them the best fighting chance possible for preemies.  My hard work had paid off with only a 4 week NICU stay, instead of the six plus weeks the doctors felt they would need.  My hard work also paid off when Laith surpassed Vivienne in weight and is now a monstrous 22 pounds.  My hard work paid again when Vivienne finally got over her severe bouts of acid reflux.  So why not continue hard work?  Besides, there's no rest for the wicked.  In all honesty, homemade baby food isn't all that hard to make.  It's the time consumption that can become an issue, but if I plan ahead, and stock up on fruits and vegs at the grocery store, and spend an evening steaming it away, then freezing, I can prep up 2-3 weeks of food.


Vivienne and Laith love to eat food from a spoon.  Whenever a bowl is in my lap, they immediately assume it contains food for them.  I love watching their eyes twinkle as they keep thinking my yummy goodness will be making it to their open and hungry mouths. A few times lately, I've given them the teeniest morsel.  Oftentimes, they swish it around their mouth and then spit it out, not fully comprehending that the next step is swallow.  Currently, we eat breakfast and dinner and have a mid-day snack.  Both babies usually wake up between 7-8 am, and both immediately like to be in their individual jumper to properly finish the wake routine.  About 8:30-9, Laith starts getting impatient, yelling out his version of "Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!"  With his impatience for everything in life (this trait has been evident since the first pre-term labor scare), he is picked up first, carried to the high chair, and buckled in.  Vivienne then starts to cry out some, as in no way does she want to be left out of this ritual.  I head back over to her jumper, by way of their room to pick up a couple bibs, then hoist her on over to her high chair.  This past week, I've not attached the tray and high chair time has been extended beyond just feeding time.  The twins then watch as I head to the kitchen and launch into a long discussion of what-shall-we-have-today.  Their little faces keep peering over their high chairs in earnest, excited for what will be coming.  Breakfast is usually bananas and oatmeal.  Dinner is usually a vegetable and rice.  But mid-day snack is the best...it has to be, it's a snack.  At this time, they get apples and peaches.  The crowd goes wild for this particular bowl of wholesome goodness.  The spoon flies back and forth between each baby.  There's no time for worrying about germaphobes.  What's good enough for one is good enough for the other.  Besides, just yesterday afternoon, I found they had switched their bottles and neither were complaining.  They share everything else, so why not that too?  I sing Gwen Stefani's "Go Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S" when we eat breakfast, and there's Tarzan of the Apes too, but the other meals just get a bunch of yums. 

As in everything else she does, Vivienne is quite elegant when she eats.  She tends to sit very still, opens her mouth just enough for spoon and food to fit, and then thoughtfully mooshes it around in her mouth.  Every once in a while, when it's something she really loves, she'll give out a big "Mmmmm!", and once in a blue moon, I swear it sounds like "Yum!"  Since that's the word I use during every feeding, I'm guessing she may actually be able to mimic it.


Laith is voracious.  There is no question if he has a healthy appetite or not; he most definitely does...and maybe a little too healthy.  Lately, he's taken to "mmm-mmming" while he eats, and opens his mouth large and wide, and if food doesn't make it to the bottomless pit fast enough, he starts to cry huge crocodile tears, as though he's a starving child who can't believe he missed another meal.  If this crying continues for too long, it becomes a full on tantrum.  I was surprised by his first tantrum.  Really? At six months you know how to do that?  He'd cry, scream and kick, and when I picked him up to calm him down, there was no calming.  He can stop instantaneously.  He is cheeky that one.






On a side note, I have Christmas finally complete.  The tree is up, all gifts are wrapped, treats are made and delivered, and annual cards in the mail.  Then I get the text about great-grandma's Christmas Eve party gift exchange.  *sigh*  Now I'll need to venture out into the frenzy of Christmas shoppers again.  Joy.

No comments: