Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To the Boy Who Lived

When I started re-reading Harry, it was just to have a small window of solitude after a long day of being mommy to our twins, being executive assistant at work, the wears-every-hat gal in general.  I relished each night when the twins would go to bed and I could finally read the coveted one chapter I'd set limit to.  I was infatuated with Harry and his magical world.  Mysteries are my mainstay with books, so thoroughly enjoying a fantasy was especially rare for me.  I came into Harry late in his life; I didn't discover him until year four, the Goblet of Fire, was just about to be released.  I only learned of Harry because I worked at the library, and couldn't help but wonder why his books were on waiting lists that lasted weeks.  I dived into the books, but my infatuation stopped there.  Harry's world was vivid in my imagination and the movies ruined my carefully detailed storyboard.  I stopped watching them after the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I've only read the Deathly Hallows once, at its first printing.  I remembered feeling as though Harry's nomadic wanderings would never end, and didn't originally enjoy how the loose ends were tied up.  This time, intent on taking my time, I read the books more carefully.  Yet by Order of the Phoenix, I was immersed and had the hardest time putting Harry down.  I spent any possible moment trying to squeeze in a few pages to finish the story, as Deathly Hallows was much better the second time around.  Last night I finished the seventh and final year, and although triumphant in how Harry's story ended this time, I was saddened that my nightly ritual was up.  I know I will still spend that time reading, but I will miss Harry.  He quiesced my restless relentless pace during a time when calamity abounded.

No comments: