Thursday, February 12, 2009

Butter-Rum Apples





Here is my latest creation. Sorry I was too busy eating to take pictures of the final product, maybe next time. This dessert is fantastic, it is great to show off and better to eat.

Start with one Gala apple per person. Core and peel the apples then quarter. Add the apples to a large saucepan. Add 1 T butter per apple and begin to lightly brown the apples. Now add about 1/2 T brown sugar per apple and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Add about a dash of cinnamon per apple and continue to simmer for about 2 minutes. Then pour 1 ounce Apple Jack (apple brandy) and 1 ounce of any kind of rum (I prefer Bacardi 151) into a glass. *WARNING* do not pour directly into pan or you may need to get a skin graft. When the bottles are not near the pan, pour the glass of spirits into the pan and fire it up. The flame is very hot and intense so be careful. Do not use a plastic spoon to stir, it will melt. Remove the pan from the heat and stir until the flame is gone then put back on heat and continue to stir until the smell of alcohol is gone and there is a syrup developing. Now add 1 T of heavy cream per apple to the pan and simmer and reduce until the mixture becomes a decent caramel. Put apples in a dish with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle some of the syrup over the ice cream. Damn! That's good.

1 comment:

Obviously Dallas said...

I loved how the apples were nothing like the soggy stuff that people have in bad apple pies. It was soft enough for a fork but stayed nice and crisp for your mouth. Then with the sauce on top really good. I would say it is my favorite. In a couple of weeks I will buy my own Apple Jack brandy and 151 and make it myself at home. but I dought I could keep alchol in my room with mom so uptight. she got mad at me for eating the apples you made because they may contain alcohol. haha I think I should become a food critic now