Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Accident Chronicles

**Warning! Reader must be prepared for a long read. And come equipped with beverages and snacks.**
Occasionally at lunchtime I will find I do not in any way feel like what I brought for the day. Last Tuesday was one of those times. I had leftover goolash, but McDonald's just seemed so much more appetizing. So I grabbed my keys and headed to the haven of golden arches. When I arrived at my destination, there were many cars in the drive-thru. The wait was long enough, that 3 vehicles decided to skip Mickey D's and go somewhere else. And this is when the person in front of me made the same decision. Instead of using the rearview mirror, side mirrors, or heaven forbid, turn around and look, she put it in reverse and headed straight back. I didn't think much when I first saw the white reverse lights, until they came back at me at full speed. I began to honk my horn to warn the driver, but to no avail. She smashed right into me. As my car was already in neutral (those who have autos have no idea what I'm talking about right now), I pulled up the e-brake and prepared for the other driver to get out of her car and begin profusely apologizing. Nope. No such thing happened. She actually put her car in drive, and almost took off! I hurridly ejected my seat belt and leaped out of my car, screaming "OI, YOU HIT ME!!!!" To my luck (maybe?) she stopped. I walked up to her driver's window and asked why she tried to leave when she just hit me. Her reply? Nothing. Was she mute? Most definitely not. I then asked her to please get out of her car and come look at the damage. And she said, no she could see the damage from where she was. I came back with "Oh really? Well, you can get out of your car and assess the damage or we can involve the police." Again she shot back with no, and calling the police wasn't necessary. I don't know what possessed me to keep asking this redundant question, but once again I wanted her to get out of the vehicle to look at the damage and exchange info. I should've known by now the answer would be no. And again it was, along with "that won't be necessary because I work for the sheriff's office." And my smart aleck reply? "So?" I demanded her information and all she could find was her name and number. Extremely surprising. Apparently she had no idea who the car was insured with because it was her fiance's and was insured with his parents until they were married. I should've known this was a farce, as she was not the typical baby 19 year old, and had mentioned at some point she was getting lunch for her kids (and why I needed to know this? I don't know). Any ways, she gave me her fiance's name and told me to call him to get the insurance info. She then left the scene of the crime, before I had any chance to get the make and model of her vehicle, or the license plate. Well, I was still hungry. So I ordered my lunch, and while waiting in the drive-thru, called Bryan to see if I should call the police. He said yes, and I placed the call to dispatch. An officer was sent, but no case was opened, as it happened on private property and was less than $1500 damage. All he could do was make sure I got her info. I told him I had gotten her name and number, but that was it. He didn't seem too concerned. Then I mentioned her comment about where she worked and he suggested I call the sheriff's office and lodge a complaint. He agreed with me that she had used her position to try and intimidate me. For any who don't know me, this is the best way to get my hackles up. I am NO follower, never have been, never will be. Independent is the name of the game. When I called the fiance, he wouldn't give me the info because he wasn't sure I was legit. Naive as I am (I've never been involved in an accident in my 13 years of driving), I told him to speak to the girl, and to please have her call me. When she did later that evening, it was to be extremely rude and then say I was verbally abusive. What?! If she thinks a loud voice and a peeved person due to her incooperation, then I have no idea what she would think of a true abuser. She said she would meet me at my work the next day at 1:30 pm. Well, Wednesday's 1:30 came and went. No offender. I had already notified my insurance, and so called them back to update them of the events. They placed several calls, and on Thursday I tried to reach her again. No luck. She completely avoided me and the insurance agent. So enough was enough, and Bryan and I drove out to the sheriff's office to see if her car was in the parking lot. And it was! Finally I was able to have some hard information (the insurance couldn't find anything for her name or the number she gave me). I called and updated the agent again with the plate number and they contacted the DMV. Meanwhile, on Wednesday morning I called the sheriff's office and lodged a complaint against her. At the time, the lieutenant in charge was not in, so I left a voicemail. Just last night, he called me back. He was extremely apologetic for her behavior and was very disappointed in how she had handled the situation. He asked if everything had been resolved, and I told him no and all what had happened. At this point he was furious, and let me know this was not common practice of the sheriff's office. I told him not to worry, I knew her behavior was not a direct reflection of their policies; just her inability to act as an adult. He assured me she would resolve the issue that night. Well no later than an hour later she called again. And she was RUDE. Not that I entirely blame her. I'm sure she got quite a grilling about everything, but I wasn't too upset. In my mind's eye, she had this coming. Once again she wanted to meet. Her excuse for the last time was that I lied and gave her the wrong address. When she tried again (after finding my work's address), my car was never there. Which again is a farce. I work every day M-F from 8-4. I work when I'm well and sick as a dog. Nothing stops me. She actually showed up for the appointment today, and I was finally able to get her insurance company's name. All of this hassle for one word, Progressive. Ridiculous is more like it. Oh and to top everything off, when she came she brought an officer with her. He asked if we had called the police the day of the accident and she said she hadn't but I claimed I had. I HATE when people call me a liar. I do have my vices, but liar does not describe me. When the officer asked me, I replied with yes and explained how she left, I called and the cop sent out didn't make an official case, but that dispatch would have record of my call, and the officer that day would most likely have a report mentioning going to McD's for my problem. Her paper with the insurance information also had a note saying I was "unreasonable and abusive". When? I had barely been able to get a word in edgewise in the two phone conversations we had. And I was proud of myself. I hadn't once lost my temper and scream or say cuss words. I had not been lackluster about her disdain, but had not gone over the top in any way. Her last words to the officer? "I don't want her ever to contact me again." Why would I? All I needed was her insurance, and I now had it. (Oh, and her insurance was under her fiance's name, not his parents. Big surprise.)

So the lesson learned? Be well schooled in what to do when an accident happens. Always, ALWAYS, call the police, and try to keep the offender there if at all possible. Always get the license plate number FIRST before speaking with the offender. And for Utahns, here's the exact info the operator of the vehicle is meant to give you: Name, number, address, plate number, insurance, insurance phone number and insurance agent if known. Also at the time of the accident, you may ask to see their driver's license, and they are NOT to refuse. If any of this information is not disclosed, it is a Class B misdemeanor.

No comments: