Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Story of Day 13


Luckily, the program that Bryan is currently training in allows for two extra trips home that the company pays for. We chose this weekend as it was Halloween. Last week I had bought a pumpkin, ready to take to my sister's home to carve; part of the many activities I had planned to keep me busy. When that changed for my weekend flight, I decided to save the pumpkin carving for Halloween when Bryan would be here. It was nice to be able to leave work early to pick up my hubby. His smile was from ear to ear when I pulled up in the truck. It was wonderful to see him so happy. We decided to stop and have dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Ho Ho (it's in Woods Cross). We have become regulars even though we live 1 1/2 hours away. We order a very special dinner, and when it was brought out to us, the owner came out to say hi and see how we were doing; that's how often we stop and eat here.

We decided to have Halloween breakfast instead of dinner. Usually we have a dinner date to help make the night go by quickly, as we're usually sad that we didn't get to make costumes and go trick or treating. But I had special plans for dinner. We had New York steaks with baking 'baked' potatoes (they're so much better than the bulk potatoes in a bag). And we carved my pumpkin. We each drew pictures and chose what we liked best of each to carve onto the face. We then loaded it with 10 or so vanilla candles and set him out on the porch around 5 pm. When we went to bed later around midnight, the pumpkin was still aflame. We walked out to the street and were amazed at how awesome he looked! Since I had picked such a large pumpkin (it was originally 25 lbs), it allowed us to carve a gigantic face, which glowed brilliantly with the candles. I hope it made Halloween more fun for all the kids who were out trick or treating last night, as it definitely made our Halloween a much happier holiday.

No comments: