Sunday, January 8, 2012

Food

It's been a while since I've shared any food critique. Good food is hard to find in Vancouver Washington. If you want a lousy pizza joint Vancouver has one on every freakin' corner. If you want something good, not much to choose from.

Gustav's - This is a unique place with German food and it's great! I have loved everything on their menu. The other day I wasn't looking for the big Rheinlander meal that I usually go for so I got salad and clam chowder. Now I RARELY get clam chowder, I love the flavors but it is always nasty at most restaurants. Most places use canned clams that are fishy and chewy. The clam chowder at Gustav's was amazing, fresh clam and tons of them. Looks like I will be getting clam chowder more often.

Bones - This is a relatively new place up in Battle Ground. The food was not bad. I had prime rib because we have been desperately searching for a replacement for our favorite prime rib from Hamilton's in Logan Utah. It is very hard to find a good prime rib. Every steak place has a prime rib and they are never good. While the bark on the prime rib wasn't great and it was not the best cut of meat it was prepared well and it was better than the prime rib at Black Angus and Outback. We will make this our prime rib place until we find something better.

Carriage House - Great burgers, they do this weird thing with a spiral cut potato that is deep fried. The idea is cool but it was soaked in oil and bitter. It needed to be cooked at a much higher temp and shorter time. The burgers are big juicy patties and the toppings are fresh.

Laurelwood - This is a Portland restaurant with a location in Battle Ground. Lame food, lame atmosphere. Not even worth typing the details.

Bruchis - Best cheese steak in the area. Funny how the name is similar to Muchies which is the best cheese steak in Salt Lake City. We go here every other week on my Thursday off.

No comments: