Wednesday, August 22, 2012

In the Heat of the Night

About a month ago, I realized if I kept waking up the other baby during the night for a feeding, the twins would never learn to sleep through the night entirely.  I started only feeding the baby that woke up and soon realized Laith was able to sleep through the night.  Unfortunately, Vivienne could not.  She has severe acid reflux that was keeping her up at night.  It finally got to a point where she wasn't eating more than an ounce at a time.  After 3 straight feedings of just an ounce, we went to the doctor.  She was put on Zantac to help, but it didn't do much.  At her 10 day follow up, the pediatrician decided to try out Prilosec.  It took its time, but it has helped quite a bit.  For three weeks, I worked hard at getting her to eat full feedings, being persistent at keeping the bottle in her mouth and threatening her with the words "I can use the medicine dropper if you won't eat it on your terms".  Bryan's family came out the end of July and were a huge help.  The first night they were here they told me to go to bed and they each took turns taking care of the babies.  I had forgotten what it was like to sleep 6 hours, let alone in a row.  Poor Vivienne though kept struggling with her reflux.  Then my mom came out for another two weeks to help and we worked even harder at getting Vivienne to eat.  We succeeded eventually, and two days before my mom left, Vivienne slept through the night.  I chalked it up to being a fluke, but then she did it a second night, then a third, and now a whole week!  I'm crossing my fingers that this means we've figured out nights and days finally, and will only have an occasional relapse.

4 comments:

Marci said...

Yea! It is so nice to sleep! Enjoy it before they start teething! Is the reflux gone?

Laura Howard said...

Oh, I hope she's learned to sleep through the night! Hurray for milestones!

Crimson&Howitzer said...

She still has reflux, but it doesn't hurt her the way it did before. The gurgling noise you hear in her throat makes me really sad, but at least she's able to finally be the happy baby she really is :)

Greg and Nancy said...

Yay for sleep!! I'm glad Vivienne's reflux is doing so much better. :)