Saturday, July 6, 2013

Just a Few of My Favorite Things

For many years into the future, when I've forgotten all about these moments, I'll read back through our blog journal and say "That's right, you did do that!"


At birthday time, Laith loved playing with the rings you use to attach toys to baby carriers.  He'd carry them everywhere and used them to place inside the puzzle tray and the singing basket.  He graduated to playing with the old VCR remote and would slide this toy in-n-out of the singing basket, on top of the puzzle tray, under blankets, over the couch, and so on.  During our family vacation, I bought him a sand grabbing toy and his love for sliding the remote changed to the red Cars grabber.

Vivienne isn't attached to a toy...at least not yet.  Her favorite current pastime is to grab one of each and then walk around the house making up sing-songy jabber.  She'll grab one blue lego and one yellow lego, or Laith's blanky and her blanky, or one purple ring and one blue ring, or a red block and a yellow triangle.  It really doesn't matter what, as long as it has a 'pair'.

Whenever I'm using the guest restroom, whether for brushing my hair, applying mascara, cleaning or using the facility, I will hear Laith's feet come boom-boom-boom over, where he stops mid-race in the middle of the hall and gives me a ginormous grin.

Laith loves to mm-mmm while he eats and gets really into it when it's something he absolutely loves, like watermelon.

If the fridge is opened, Laith rushes over to grab out the dressing kept in the bottom shelf.  This is quite a feat, as we have a French door fridge right now.  Vivienne tries but isn't quite tall enough yet.  She loves to push the dishwasher shut every time I open it.  She's OCD about it...to the point I've started rinsing all the dishes and then corral her away from the washer while I load it.

Laith is a stupendous helper.  He helps lift the garbage every time he comes upon a garbage can.  He tries to lift the bag of dirty diapers when I empty the diaper genie.  He will touch the vacuum as I push it around and will carry the broom to me if I set it against a wall.  Last week, while I was dusting, he picked up a plastic teaspoon and walked behind me touching the walls with it.

After an outing, Daddy helped Vivienne out of the car and was walking beside her up the driveway.  She paused to check out the G8's front bumper and as Daddy went to grab her hand to encourage her along, she whipped out the other hand and grabbed a bug off the bumper and promptly stuck it in her mouth.  Ick!!

The quiet mesmerized looks both of you have when the Indian-style song comes on for the number 19 on Sesame Street.

Laith recently learned how to walk backwards.  One time, Daddy started beeping while he did this and now, on occasion, when we "Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep" in high-pitched voices, Laith will back up on command.

How concerned you both are about the other when s/he is crying

Vivienne started shaking her head quite a while back, loving the feel of her hair against her neck.  Daddy started singing "No Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy" and shaking his head when she'd do this.  Now when he says those words, she'll smile and shake her head.

All time favorite shows: Sesame Street, A Bug's Life and most recently added to the list, Monsters Inc.  I'm glad we're finally branching out.

Vivienne usually lets out a generous burp after finishing her bedtime milk and one night after a nice big one, Laith let out a giggle.

Shoes are happiness in our home.  I don't have to fight either one of you to get shoes on.  You joyously come over, plop your bum in my lap and lift up your left foot ready to put on shoe number one.

Laith loves to have books read to him.  He'll bring one over to me when I'm working and smiles sweetly as I read it to him.  Then he'll grab it from me about halfway through and walk off.  If I'm not working, he'll sit in my lap and let me tell him a little more of the story to just grab the book, stand up and walk off.  Vivienne also loves to be read to.  She prefers to sit to my side so she can look at the book and turn her head to look at me as I read it.  It's cute watching the wheels in her head turn as she puts my reading the words out of the book together.  My most favorite part of story time is when one twin is in my lap and then the other comes over and smooshes their bum right on top of the other twin.


Vivienne loves to play peek-a-boo in the car.  When I'm sitting shot gun, I'll turn in my chair to look at her and she'll bust out in giggles, eyes alight with laughter.  Laith gets in on the action too, just not quite as exuberant.  He prefers playing peek-a-boo at home.  I'll drape a blanket over him, as though he's a ghost, and say "Where's Laith?  Where did Laith go?"  He'll pull the blanket over his head and give me a huge grin as I shout "There he is!!"  He's even started to wait longer in anticipation of how much more excited I am when he finally reappears.

My most favorite thing?  Vivienne loves to give hugs.  Most times I pick her up, she lays her head on my right shoulder and snugs right in.  I rub her back and tell her how much I love my precious Vivienne.  And Laith will give me kisses when I ask.  He'll pucker up, lips open wide and let me give him a big mwah!

No comments: