Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Spring Trickled into Summer


 

These two pictures I took before Laith got his haircut, so timeline-wise, this is before his birthday but after the rain stopped. We were waiting in the car for Dad to bring out the Chinese that would be our dinner and Laith lost it with a complete meltdown.  I let him out of his car seat and climb into the driver's seat.  He immediately pulled himself up to the steering wheel and started looking around with his little hands gripping the wheel tight.  Maybe he'll be a race car driver one day...at least I know Dad would really enjoy that.
Right around the twins' birthday, the sun came out for a long spell in the spring.  We enjoyed the small window of spring sunshine with a tea party.  Since that time, it rained nonstop for three weeks and then we left on vacation for Utah.  One week later it was still raining.  It finally stopped about a week ago.  Now that the rain has stopped, the temps have hit the low-mid 90s.  Not really hot, but the humidity makes it yucky.

We tried to take some family pictures again for a project Bryan's sister was trying to work on but we failed miserably.  The twins absolutely didn't want their picture taken.  Here are the best of the shots.  The rest that I didn't include show flailing arms and blurs.






We also went on a family vacation to Utah in June.  The only pictures we took were a couple on the way there and a couple on the way back.  Oops...we need to get better at remembering to take pictures as my memory bank is getting foggy quickly.

This is the Bridge of the Gods.  On a whim, we decided to cross the river here, instead of the normal I-205 bridge. We've been across this bridge a few times now yet it always gives me the creeps.  It has metal grates that you can see right through to the river below.  I'm always afraid the guard rails will disappear and we'll slide right off.  The Washington side of the river is prettier but a much slower drive as it's just a one lane highway.  We also stopped and got some pictures at Bonneville Dam. Later we learned our whim was a great choice as the interstate was plugged with rush hour traffic which was worsened by road work.



Then last weekend I decided we should finally stain our brick.  We kept the twins in a pack-n-play since we were out front. While staining the last block of brick we heard a large ker-fluffle and then an ear-piercing scream followed by crocodile tears.  We rushed over the 5 steps away we were from the twins to find Laith crying his heart out while Vivienne looked on with innocence.  On Laith's arms were teeth indentations.  Yes, our children had a fight of epic proportions and in the flay, our sweet little Vivienne pulled out the big guns.  Yesterday, Laith gave Vivienne's arm a giant bite.  I guess revenge is sweet even at just a year old.
These last couple shots are projects I've been working on.  The first is the back to my jean blanket.  I've finished the entire back but I took a picture of one square and text it to Bryan to make sure what I did had his stamp of approval too.  My points didn't turn out perfect even though I spent eons of time pressing and pinning and measuring.  I'm glad I did though, as without all that effort, the points wouldn't have matched even close.  My first attempt at quilt piecing didn't turn out too horrible.
  
I also decided I needed to be a little more festive and made a patriotic door display. My original goal was to include 'firework bursts' with the pinwheels.  I had repinned a pinterest find from a friend on how to make the firework burst, but I had no luck.  I couldn't get the suckers to stay taped shut as I pulled them around to make a complete circle.  They'd pop apart every time.  After several attempts and massive frustration I completely gave up on the bursts.  But to tell the truth, I actually really like the display with just the pinwheels.



No comments: